I have finally tweaked everything into the exact places I want everything. A quick change to the sidebar template fixed the links, allowing them to be broken down by category. I also changed the order of the items in the sidebar; I wanted the calendar near the top and the design to not be so top-heavy.
The calendar was also a relatively simple, yet obscure fix. In order to allow the calendar to be centered, I needed to add a text-align: center; attribute to the stylesheet. What I didn’t realize is that the attribute needed to be added for the <table>, <th>, and <td> tags. Once this change was in place, the calendar behaved properly.
Thanks to all who have made compliments about my site. I really like the change, and I was hoping at least a few readers would, too.